Monday, 4 February 2013

Grenada bound

Monday, 28th January
Pirate Bay
Up, breakfast and pottered about on boat, reading etc. Eventually went ashore to try and get Internet connection and some more cash. Back to boat for cold roast pork, tomato and cucumber sarnies for lunch.
Swam ashore to Pirate Bay beach and back for a bit of exercise. It was interesting getting ashore in the strong surf and getting back out again! Swimming back to the boat I realised the bay was full of small jelly fish, about 3" in diameter. There were thousands of them and they appeared to have been swept into the bay in the big swell. Tried taking photo of them but they were too indistinguishable.
Sweet and sour pork with rice for dinner.

Tuesday, 29th January
Up just before 0700 and breakfast before heading off. Weighed anchor under motor at 0740 and headed out of bay. There was a following wind so we motor-sailed with no.2 genoa and then later changed to no.1 genoa. Made good progress down to Store Bay where we put down anchor at 1215. On the way there we saw some dolphins and lots more flying fish. Had the last of the roast pork in sarnies for lunch. Chris stayed on board trying to unblock/fix the toilet in the forward heads while Simon and I went ashore to get diesel in cans and some fresh veg for tonight's dinner.
Back on  the boat Chris had managed to unblock the pipe but had had to cut it to get it out: now, without the fitting attached to one end, it wouldn't go back on. He eventually gave up and will buy a new pipe when we get back to Chaguaramus. Chris went ashore to buy peppers for tonight's dinner, and beer.
The beach here at Store Bay is lovely soft fine white sand and the water is clear. I swam ashore, helped Chris launch the dinghy and then swam back to the boat. Spent rest of the afternoon and evening relaxing on board.

It was my turn to cook and I made carbonara for dinner: onions, butter, bacon, milk, spaghetti and milk - it tasted delicious and went down well. Chris wanted garlic in it but I left that out. Went to bed about 2130 leaving Chris and Simon still trying to download Mailasail (automatic global weather forecasts via satellite phone and email) onto the boat's computer.  The plan is for an early start tomorrow, back to Chaguaramus, Trinidad.
No photos taken today 

Wednesday, 30th January
Up at 0615, made tea and had breakfast. Weighed anchor at 0650 and motored out of Store Bay. Only about 5-6 knots of wind so it looks as if we might be motoring all the way back to Trini. Dropped anchor in Chaguaramus Bay at 1740, as all visitor moorings were occupied, including lots of Dutch boats. They are probably visitors for the Trini Carnival which starts on 10th February. The crossing from Tobago was a mixture of motor, sail and motor-sailing as winds were following and light for most of the time.

Simon and I went ashore to send e-mails, leaving Chris on board still trying to sort out his computer systems. When we got back C was still struggling with them. Eventually, with help from Simon, he appeared to have made some progress, at which point it was left to Simon and me to cook dinner - corned beef hash ( very tasty).

No photos today.
Thursday, 31st January
Got up at 0700 and made tea and breakfast. Once the others were up and sorted we went ashore to use the Internet and do laundry while Chris went to the chandlery to get a new waste pipe for his toilet. The life raft is now ready and will probably be delivered tomorrow, Friday, and I think we will be heading north on Saturday.

In the afternoon we went ashore again again to notify customs we had arrived and would be leaving on Saturday, did more shopping for food, and an electric plug adaptor and shore power cable connector, but I couldn't find a suitable shore power connector.
Chris is cooking dinner tonight - spaghetti bog.

No photos today

Friday, 1st February
Simon up at 0730 making tea so I got up. Had breakfast then went ashore to Internet and chandlery. Back to boat, then Simon and I went ashore again to get a bus into Port of Spain for shopping while Chris waited for the life raft to be delivered. Back on boat again by 1230 then ashore to clear immigration & customs and collect pre-ordered duty free drinks. Headed back to the boat with supplies but ran out of petrol and had to paddle the last 300 metres.
We're getting pizza take-away for dinner tonight and tomorrow, to use up the last of our Trinidadian dollars.
Planning on an early start tomorrow morning, northwards, almost three weeks after arriving in Trinidad!

Saturday, 2nd February
Up at 0450 made tea and had cereal. Weighed anchor at 0550 when dawn arrived and motored out of anchorage into clear water. Raised mainsail and untangled reefing lines. Cleared passage at 0630 and headed north from Trinidad towards Grenada. Full main and no.1 genoa but not a great deal of wind. Stayed like this all morning but wind picked up in the afternoon and we then had a good sail all the way up to Grenada, although it poured with rain for a good part of the afternoon and evening. Dropped anchor off Georgetown at 2121. Did not go ashore.

We saw one small pod of dolphins, several flying fish and the Hibiscus gas field on way.
Georgetown, Grenada

Sunday, 3rd February
Currently at Carriacou, an island just north of Grenada. Spent last night at Georgetown, Grenada. We're leaving tomorrow morning for Union Island,  the next one up the chain,which is small but we're told it has a beautiful beach.


  1. Sounds like you are having an interesting time and now fully asail.We are enjoying your Log. Best wishes for the rest of yuor journey. Vern and Di

  2. Comment for Mike from Nigel:
    Sounds as if he’s having fun. No idea how to ‘comment/share’?
    My comment would be that “Your heads sounds (and probably smells) just like Fishguard Squash Court loos.”

  3. Oh yes, we know all about having to cut the pipe for the heads in order to get it out - been there done that (into several pieces in our case!).